Sunday, January 31, 2010

Easy Spaghetti Sauce


This is a slightly changed family recipe. For one thing, the original recipe calls for lard to be added to the meat. Yes, you read that right. LARD! I have tweaked it here and there over the years to better match my taste. I CAN tell you that when I tell my family I'm making spaghetti with homemade sauce that I'm a hero! I once made this for company and one of the guests enjoyed it so much, that he wanted to drink the leftover sauce from his plate. Others at the dinner table got after him for "manners", but I was tickled that he enjoyed it so!

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger or Italian sausage
1 sm. chopped onion
2 lg. cans tomato sauce
1 lg. can tomato paste
1/2 to 1 cup water
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tbs. salt
2 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. allspice
1 bay leaf
2 tbs. dried parsley

Brown meat with chopped onion and drain. Put into a deep sauce pan and add remaining ingredients, stirring to blend well. Heat over medium low heat until it starts to bubble. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer at least 40 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment