Friday, January 15, 2010

LASAGNA!!



For the longest time, my oldest son would only eat the sausage out of the lasagna! I'm so glad that my son the carnivore has come around! I'm not too picky, but I have to admit that veggie lasagna holds no charm for me. If you're gonna omit meat, that's fine. But don't throw in vegetables and tell me "it's just like meat". Nope! As Jiminy Cricket says, "I'm No Fool! No Siree!" So don't try and pull one over on me when it comes to food!

Ingredients:
1 lb.ground mild or sweet Italian sausage
1 tsp.dried minced onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes (I run this in the blender a few seconds just because I don't care for chunks of tomato)
1 (12 oz) can tomato paste
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 tbs. Italian seasoning
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder (I once used chipotle chili powder and that was good too!)
12 lasagna noodles cooked till tender
2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 cup of parmesean cheese plus a little more to sprinkle on top
1 tbs. dried chopped parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp. season salt
16 oz. shredded mozzarella

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch casserole dish lightly with Pam.

In a large pan, over medium heat, brown sausage (if you can only find the links, then just slice and remove the skins). Make sure you break up the meat with a spoon really well. Drain off grease if there is any. Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, salt, sugar, chili powder and Italian seasoning. Stir well. If it looks too thick, just add a little water. No more than 1/4 cup though! Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and add in cottage cheese, 1/2 cup parmesean cheese, season salt, pepper and parsley and stir.

Place one layer of 4 noodles in the bottom of the casserole dish, overlapping about 1/2 inch. Spread 1/3 of cottage cheese mixture over pasta. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella on top and then spread 1/3 of the sauce over the mozzarella. Repeat this and sprinkle a little more mozzarella on top along with a little more parmesean cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment