Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chicken Bog


For those who don't know what Chicken Bog is, it is chicken bogged down in rice. Get it? Paula Deen among others add in sausage and peppers and such. As for me? When it comes to Chicken Bog, I am a purist! Don't go gettin all fancy on me with this dish. The blended flavors of the chicken, rice, salt and pepper to me, are perfect just as they are. Chicken Bog with a side of homemade biscuits and I am SO there!

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (3 to 4 lbs is what I usually use)
8 cups water (a little more or less depending on the size of your chicken and how much rice you want to cook with it.
4 cups long grain rice (does not HAVE to be long grain. Medium is fine also. Just follow the directions on the package as you might need to adjust the amount of water to it in)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
Rinse your chicken and pull out the neck, heart, etc. Some people keep these and cook them up. I don't.:)
Place the chicken in a large stock pot. Add water, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let it gently boil for about an hour or until the meat easily comes off the bone using a fork.
Remove the chicken and set aside to let it cool down a bit.
Add rice to the broth and cook as directed on the package.
After rice is done. (I like to cook mine until it's sticky because I hate to have grains of rice fall through my fork!) De-bone the chicken and add to rice. Stir and serve! This is not particularly salty. I do this because everyone's salt preference is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment