Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sweet Cornbread Pudding


Have you ever had the craving for something but can't for the life of you figure out what IT is? Then you realize what IT is, and you experience the wonderful feeling afterwards of joy, contentment and sweet satisfaction! Now let me ask you this. Have you ever had a craving for something and when you finally figured out what IT is, you have to admit that you've never actually had it before? In fact, you've never even heard of it before! Well this was my predicament. I've always like bread pudding. Except of course when people insist on putting raisins in it. I also like sweet cornbread, but hate that it's so crumbly. I prefer food that doesn't require constant hand eye coordination in order to be eaten. So it came to me one day like someone had flipped on the light for me. WhatI wanted was a bread pudding, but made with sweet cornbread! I searched the internet and found many recipes for cornbread pudding, but none of them were sweet like a dessert. What's the saying? "If it is to be, it is up to me"? So I rolled up my sleeves and made my own recipe. The fact that I am posting it on my blog tells you that the end result was Sweet Success! The way I had to make this, I ended up with a half of a 9 x 13 in. pan of cornbread leftover. Not a problem in my family since they love cornbread. If you can find the Jiffy brand of yellow cake mix, then you can get by with using only 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix. I had to use a regular size box of yellow cake mix. So this recipe will follow the way I made it. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Ingredients/directions:

6-7 slices of thin sliced french bread that has been left out to dry a bit. Then crumble as fine as you prefer. Set aside and make the cornbread.

2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
1 box yellow cake mix
2 eggs
2/3 cup of milk
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of oil

Mix and pour into a 9 x 13 in. greased pan and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. cut in half and place the half you'll be using in the pudding on a cookie sheet, crumbling as you do so. This will help it to cool much faster.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. When cornbread crumbs are cool, add to dried bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. To this, you will add:

4 eggs
3 cups half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup drained fruit cocktail

Mix well and pour into a greased (sprayed with Pam) 9 x 13 in. pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Glaze:

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup honey
add just enough milk to make a thick glaze
zest of one lemon

Cut pudding into squares and serve warm with glaze

*Note: If you want it extra sweet, then add in 1/3 cup of sugar.

2 comments:

  1. OK I am lovin' your blog- haven't had a chance to make anything but I will real soon!! Keep these yummies comin-for my family's sake haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trecia,

    Glad to hear it! My only problem is that sometimes I forget to snap a picture before my family devours what I've cooked! Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete