Saturday, April 2, 2011

Salmon Patties or Cakes


My Mom used to make these. Quick to make and scrumptious! I love this recipe because the mayo keeps them moist. A dry salmon patty is a sad thing to behold. These are fried, so be sure to wear your apron or at least a shirt that you don't mind if grease gets on it. For my family, I typically triple this recipe which usually gives us about 3 each, 18 total.

Ingredients:

(1) 14 3/4 oz. canned salmon (I usually get the smaller size cans of salmon that already have the bones removed. So depending on size, figure 2-3 cans per recipe.)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (adjust to your own taste or omit altogether)
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
3 tablespoons mayonnaise

Drain canned salmon and remove bones and junk if necessary. Put into mixing bowl and break apart with your fingers or a fork. I prefer fingers. That way I can feel if there are any bones that may have been missed. Add onion, cornmeal, flour mayo and egg. Stir until well blended. Heat oil in skillet. The oil should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. I'm guestimating here because I just eyeball it. Form into patties about the size of a small burger and fry till lightly golden. Turn when it has fried enough on one side to hold its shape. Only turn once while frying though. You don't want them too greasy. Set on paper towels to drain and serve with either tartar sauce or ketchup.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to see Momma's back!! My Mom and grandma used to make salmon patties, but instead of cornmeal they used saltine crackers..I like the mayonnaise idea. But I like mayonnaise. Be sure to come visit me on my blog. There's a salad that you would love!! :-)

    ReplyDelete