Friday, June 18, 2010

Maria's Famous Cookies


I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Maria. She doesn't want to take credit for it because she didn't "invent" this recipe. That doesn't matter to me. She's the one who gave me the recipe and she will forever be the person I associate with this cookie. I used butter in place of shortening when I made these just to see if "real" butter would make a difference. It did, but not for the better. They were fine, but a little too close to the crispy side for me. If I'm going to have a home made cookie, then I expect it to be soft. Not crunchy like a cracker. Anyhow, that's just a matter of taste. If you want a more crispy cookie, then use the butter. If you want a cookie that is more like a dessert, then use shortening, at least in THIS recipe. One of the reasons this oatmeal cookie is a hit with me, is because it doesn't call for raisins. Another reason, it has coconut AND chocolate! For those who like raisins, you can add them, if you must!

Ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. water
1 cup coconut
3 cups oatmeal
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Mix brown and white sugars with shortening. Add eggs, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients together and add to mixture 1/2 cup at a time until well blended. Add chocolate chips and stir. Drop by teaspoon full and bake for 10-12 minutes. Store in airtight container.

2 comments: