Thursday, June 24, 2010

Grandma's Rice Pilaf


This is a recipe of my husband's beloved Grandma Kemp. I changed it, but just a little. No disrespect to Grandma, but her recipe calls for 1 lb. of butter. It's no secret that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE BUTTER!!!! But I found that a full pound in this recipe was a bit too much for this luvah of buttah! I cut it back from 1 lb. to 1/4 of a lb. The recipe calls for long grain rice, but I have been known to use brown rice (as shown in the picture) when I want it to have a bit more texture.This is supposedly a "side dish", but I'm a tellin YOU! This is delicious enough to be a meal all on it's own. Enjoy my friends!!

Ingredients:
1/4 lb as in 1/2 cup as in ONE stick of butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 cup fresh, sliced mushrooms
2 cups long grain uncooked rice
2 cups water
3 cans beef consomme

Melt butter in a heavy container. I like to use my dutch oven. Add chopped onion and cook until onions are clear. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer 20 minutes. While this is simmering, you can preheat your oven to 350 degrees. After it has simmered for the 20 minutes, cover and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment